David Beroff (d4b) wrote,
David Beroff
d4b

Hundred-year floods

I found a statement on FEMA's site that said, "Areas with a 1% annual chance of flooding and a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30-year mortgage." The statement seemed rather odd; a knee-jerk reaction would be that the figure should be "30%". Then I saw that they took the approach of: 99% chance of staying dry in the first year and 99% chance in second year and... = 0.9930 = 74% chance of staying dry over 30 years, so 26% chance of flooding. Still, even that doesn't quite seem right, since the same logic would yield a 63% chance of flooding from a 100-year flood over a century. OK, 100% seems wrong, too, but 63% just feels too low.

Of course, now that we're getting 100-year floods every few years, all of that seems moot, anyway. ;-)
Tags: map, weather
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments